Semtech Accelerates Technology Deployments Aimed at a Smarter, Sustainable Planet
LoRa® devices and the LoRaWAN® protocol leveraged to remedy environmental challenges and drive global change.
Semtech Corporation is amplifying its mission to make the planet a smarter, more connected and sustainable place by providing an innovative Internet of Things (IoT) platform.
With solutions deployed globally, Semtech’s LoRa® devices and the LoRaWAN® protocol help reduce environmental impacts and remedy challenges facing the global community spanning wildlife protection, sustainable farming, combating COVID-19, water conservation to high-risk flood monitoring.
Mohan Maheswaran, president and CEO, Semtech, said:
“By investing in LoRaWAN and LoRa, we’re showing the world that Semtech is committed in our efforts toward sustainability, and developing technology solutions that improve environmental consciousness and conserve resources. LoRa devices’ easy-to-deploy capabilities have the potential to bring connectivity to all, creating a smarter and safer planet.”
Semtech continues to develop products and enable solutions that create greater efficiencies and connections to care for communities, people and resources. LoRa devices serve a range of IoT applications across a variety of industries and are designed to be scalable and easy to implement:
- Wildlife Protection: Sensors integrated with LoRa can track and protect endangered species from poachers in national parks across Asia and Africa. Park rangers can leverage data collected from the sensors to track wildlife movement and monitor park perimeters to ensure wildlife is safe at all times.
- Sustainable Farming: By leveraging LoRa, farmers and ranchers can measure environmental conditions that influence crop production, track the health of livestock and enable efficiencies that can reduce environmental impact, while maximizing yield and minimizing expenses.
- Combating COVID-19: LoRa is enabling public safety solutions to ensure health care regulation and compliance in the workplace, while also addressing the needs of medical professionals. Example solutions can assist with proximity sensors and contact tracing.
- Water Conservation: According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, household leaks waste approximately nearly 900 billion gallons of water annually. Through integrating LoRa into water management systems, smart homes and buildings have the ability to monitor their water usage and potentially decrease water wastage.
- Reaching Rural Communities: 3.7 billion people globally lack connectivity, and the COVID-19 crisis has only reinforced the need for it, particularly for those in rural areas (World Economic Forum). By integrating LoRa into connectivity solutions that enable two-way communications to and from satellites in Low Earth Orbit (LEO), affordable global connectivity is providing coverage to those in rural areas who would otherwise be without.
- Flood Monitoring: Sensors integrated with LoRa have been deployed to autonomously monitor rising sea levels as a result of the climate change effects. The use of these sensors have been valuable in coastal regions with a high risk of flooding.
The post Semtech Accelerates Technology Deployments Aimed at a Smarter, Sustainable Planet appeared first on IoT Business News.